Monday, June 2, 2008

Composting

I just finished reading "Composting" by Liz Ball and "The Urban/Suburban Composter" by Mark Cullen and Lorraine Johnson and was itching to start my own compost pile, so Ryan built me a holding unit yesterday out of 4 old pallets that had recently been delivered to his store. The back and two sides are held together with screws and a couple scraps of wood and the front panel is loosely held in place with a few zip ties so that it can open for easy turning. I am very excited about the whole process and I can't wait to see how much this reduces our weekly trash output. A few interesting things I learned from the books- you can put dryer lint and the contents of your vacuum bag in the compost, also natural materials- so that old clothing that is too stained or damaged to give to the Salvation Army or any little bits and scraps of 100% cotton quilting materials can now be composted instead of tossed- just make sure to cut it up into little bits first (I think they recommended 1" squares) so that it doesn't take forever to decompose.

1 comment:

Deb Hardman said...

Now that is interesting! Composting fabric. Now I have a good ecological reason to throw it away! But I have trouble tossing even the smallest bits out. Thanks for that tidbit Sarah!

& welcome to blogging! It was nice to see you here!